[Video] Pioneer DJ Announces the DDJ-SR Two-Channel DJ Controller
Be sure to see our full HD-Video and written reviews of the Pioneer DDJ-SX to get familiar with most of the functions found on this new DDJ-SR. The DDJ-SR will still have the same overall build quality with a steel top faceplate, aluminum jog wheels, and plastic construction underneath. The DDJ-SR will also have the performance pads to control Hotcues, Roll, Slicer, and Sampler, but now they also have a PAD PLUS button that will allow the pads to function as Hotcue Roll, Trans, Combo FX, and Sampler Roll. The DDJ-SR will not have the additional channelized inputs found on the DDJ-SX, but it will include an Auxiliary RCA input for emergencies along with a Booth RCA output and Main balanced TRS output to connect the speakers.
We'll be sure to get one of these in the DJbooth.net Lab for a full HD-Video and written review sometime next month when it will be released at the retail price of $699. Stay tuned for more breaking news coming later today!
PIONEER DDJ-SR JOINS FAMILY OF CONTROLLERS DESIGNED FOR SERATO DJ SOFTWARE USERS
LONG BEACH, Calif. (September 12, 2013) –Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. Professional Sound and Visual Division today unveiled the Pioneer® DDJ-SR 2-channel DJ controller designed for use with Serato® DJ software. The smaller and more compact DDJ-SR inherits many of the same functionalities and controls of the larger DDJ-SX introduced in 2012, offering large aluminum jog wheels, integrated performance pads, and a new PAD PLUS feature that adds four additional audio effects to the performance pads.
“We’re seeing an increase in computer based DJs using Serato software more than ever,” said David Arevalo, director of marketing, Professional Sound and Visual Division for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “The DDJ-SR expands our line-up of Pioneer controllers that support the growing popularity of Serato DJ and give software DJs a multitude of choices in controllers.”
Mixing with Serato
The DDJ-SR takes advantage of Serato DJ’s full capability, ensuring its layout of knobs and buttons are exceptionally easy-to-use with the software.
• Performance Pads – Large rubber “performance pads” located below the big jog wheel provide HOT CUE, ROLL, SLICER and SAMPLER functions. Each soft-touch rubber pad illuminates in blue to enable users to tap the pad(s) quickly for each effect, with the output volume varying depending on the strength of each tap.
• PAD PLUS - By activating the new PAD PLUS button, the functions of the performance pads are transformed, converting the four function buttons into HOT CUE ROLL, TRANS, COMBO FX and SAMPLER ROLL. Holding down the pads triggers the hot cues or samplers that match the beats per minute (BPM) of the music while effects and filters are simultaneously applied. The DDJ-SR also features a new Beat Indicator to display beats while simultaneously using the PAD PLUS functions.
• Big Jog Wheels – The DDJ-SR features two large jog wheels for precise scratching and mixing capabilities. The resistance for each jog wheel was fined tuned to provide users with the best “feel” and the shortest latency.
• 2-Channel Mixer – The built-in 2-channel mixer on the DDJ-SR is ideal for scratch performances. The mixer can also be used with four decks using the “deck select” buttons located on each side of the controller. In addition, the unit features a “Cross Fader Reverse” switch to enable the left and right decks to be controlled from opposite sides.
• High-end Design – The DDJ-SR sports a steel top panel and an aluminum jog plate for a more elegant and stylish look and feel.
• Serato DJ Software – A free-of-charge download of Serato DJ software is included with the purchase of a DDJ-SR for an easy out-of-the-box experience.
• USB Power – The controller can be powered through the USB connection to a laptop1.
• Built-in Sound Card (audio interface) – Simple connection to a laptop with a single USB cable.
• Adjustable Cross-fader Curve – Suits any mixing style.
• Channel Fader Start – Enables the use of the channel fader to control and play/cue tracks.
• Integrated Handles – The controller features grip handles on each side for added convenience.
The DDJ-SR will be available in October 2013 with a suggested retail price of $699.