Best Crossover Record of 2009
Was there anyone in America who wasn't vibing out to Jay-Z's “Empire State of Mind” in '09? Doubtful – with a souring chorus by R&B songstress Alicia Keys and an appropriately epic instrumental by Shux (along with co-producers Janet Sewell-Ulepic and Angela Hunte), the Blueprint 3 single had something to offer just about every listener, and the track's wide-ranging appeal ultimately earned it a #1 spot on Billboard's Hot 100.
Drake - Best I Ever Had
This one was never really even a question. Jay-Z's Blueprint 3 was a big album, but "Empire State of Mind" was an absolutely huge song, the type of track that transcends hip-hop and gets played everywhere from project block parties to suburban aerobics classes. With Alicia Keys bringing the track to the next level with an instantly classic chorus, "Empire State of Mind" is the definition of a crossover smash. Let's hear it for New York.
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.