From Bootsy Collins to James Jamerson, 10 Bassists You Need to Know
We all yell when a NBA player throws down an ill dunk on a breakaway, but what about the player who grabbed the rebound that made that breakaway possible? Stadiums erupt when a wide reciever pulls down a long bomb, but what about the linemen who threw his shoulder into an onrushing linebacker to make the throw possible?
Bassists are often those same unsung heroes in music, providing the essential foundation for some of your favorite music, even if you might often not even know their names. Well, no more! From the Motown era to the new school, from rock to funk, and every genre in between, we're making sure some of the most influential bassists to ever pick up their instruments finally get their just due. After all, some of the best hip-hop songs ever made came from samples of these bassists, shouldn't you know who they are? Check out our ten selections right now....
Written by Nathan S. on 07/29/14
Featured In This Article
You Might Like...
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.