Kanye West Brings Out 2 Chainz for Samsung Galaxy Note II Concert
Just when I thought major tech outlets would be reporting up-to-the-minute coverage on Apple’s new iPad mini for weeks on end, Kanye West Jesus Walked into New York’s Skylight Studios for Samsung Mobile’s Galaxy Note II launch party and quickly changed news headlines.
On October 24, Samsung spared no expense at unveiling their latest smart phone and camera with a gigantic press preview, followed by an epic mini concert from G.O.O.D. Music’s HNIC. In a quick, 20-song set that lasted over an hour, the hip-hop heavyweight performed classics like College Dropout’s All Falls Down, and Through The Wire, as well as Late Registration’s smash Gold Digger and Touch The Sky for a star-studded audience that included Childish Gambino, French Montana, Jennifer Hudson, Kid Cudi, T.I. and Victor Cruz.
While Mr. West can lack stage presence, anyone who’s ever seen him perform live or on television knows his delivery is what makes fans pile into his concerts mostly because of his ability incorporate certain set-pieces – from smoke blowers to elaborate strobe lights – so of course, the show wouldn’t be complete without some aesthetics, which came toward the final moments when the Chi-town emcee brought out a MPC 2000xl for a stylized-freestyle rendition of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s Runaway (similar to his 2010 VMA and SNL appearances).
But the theatrics didn’t stop there as Yeezy also surprised guests by bringing out fellow Def Jam-signee 2 Chainz to accompany him on Birthday Song before exiting.
Though the concert was absolutely memorable, I doubt it’ll boost Samsung’s sales of the Galaxy Note II...since it isn’t an iPhone. However, it’s still a pretty kick ass phone for consumers who would like the same features as the competition without the aggressive price point.
Written by Ru Porter on 10/26/12
You Might Like...
- Win Tickets to See Mick Jenkins & Kirk Knight Live in New York [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.