Kanye West Brings Out 2 Chainz for Samsung Galaxy Note II Concert
Just when I thought major tech outlets would be reporting up-to-the-minute coverage on Apple’s new iPad mini for weeks on end, Kanye West Jesus Walked into New York’s Skylight Studios for Samsung Mobile’s Galaxy Note II launch party and quickly changed news headlines.
On October 24, Samsung spared no expense at unveiling their latest smart phone and camera with a gigantic press preview, followed by an epic mini concert from G.O.O.D. Music’s HNIC. In a quick, 20-song set that lasted over an hour, the hip-hop heavyweight performed classics like College Dropout’s All Falls Down, and Through The Wire, as well as Late Registration’s smash Gold Digger and Touch The Sky for a star-studded audience that included Childish Gambino, French Montana, Jennifer Hudson, Kid Cudi, T.I. and Victor Cruz.
While Mr. West can lack stage presence, anyone who’s ever seen him perform live or on television knows his delivery is what makes fans pile into his concerts mostly because of his ability incorporate certain set-pieces – from smoke blowers to elaborate strobe lights – so of course, the show wouldn’t be complete without some aesthetics, which came toward the final moments when the Chi-town emcee brought out a MPC 2000xl for a stylized-freestyle rendition of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s Runaway (similar to his 2010 VMA and SNL appearances).
But the theatrics didn’t stop there as Yeezy also surprised guests by bringing out fellow Def Jam-signee 2 Chainz to accompany him on Birthday Song before exiting.
Though the concert was absolutely memorable, I doubt it’ll boost Samsung’s sales of the Galaxy Note II...since it isn’t an iPhone. However, it’s still a pretty kick ass phone for consumers who would like the same features as the competition without the aggressive price point.
Written by Ru Porter on 10/26/12
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.