Static Selektah & Yelawolf at the Fader Fort
Greetings from ATX!
Wednesday was the first official day of the music portion of SXSW, and I was fortunate enough to spend a large chunk of it hanging out at the Fader Fort. If you're not familiar with the Fader Fort, just picture a giant outdoor party with free drinks, and all kinds of other amenities like an old-school arcade, ping pong tables, a blogger's lounge, interactive activities sponsored by Pepsi - you get the picture. It's sponsored by Fiat this year, which is interesting because I was not aware that Fiat still existed. Anyway, there was plenty of Fiat-related stuff in the building, but I think the coolest part was their small exhibit about the evolution of the boombox. Apparently TDK, a prominent electronic components and electronics hardware company has updated the boombox model significantly and from the look of it, that thing is pretty smooth.
I was lucky enough to catch DJ set by the one and only Statik Selektah, and a live performance by Yelawolf. I randomly saw Stalley in the crowd, and I tried to catch up with him but his people were pretty intent upon rushing him into the VIP/backstage area. Yelawolf was full of energy and the really crowd fed off it - who knew these hipsters loved them some ratchet trunk muzik? Goes to show once again that music truly is a universal language. Now, everyone hold hands around the campfire and sing "Kumbaya."
Here is some video from the show:
I'm not even going to front - I'm nursing a slight hangover, and I'm hungry so my attempts at wit are not faring well this afternoon. I'm just going to put the laptop down and back away slowly so I can figure out what I'm doing with my life for the remainder of the day. For now, all I know is that it will involve more hip hop and whatever other SXSW madness I happen to encounter along the way. In the meantime, check out the photos I shot while I was at the Fader Fort, follow my SXSW tweets (@softjunebreeze) and try not to be too jealous. Be good kids - I'll catch up with you later.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 03/17/11
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.