Remember Ashanti‘s video for Rock Wit U, which depicted her laying on the beach? Well, for her latest single, First Real Love, I think she went back to that tropical paradise to grab Beenie Man. It makes sense, because you can’t have a dope dancehall cut without Beenie’s energetic, brisk vocals. This isn’t just your average dancehall cut, either. Behind the boards, producers Teetimus, Mista Raja Greene and Yusuf Sef Millz Alexander blend the dancehall vibe with elements of R&B and EDM to create a unique hybrid between the three genres. Though Ashanti’s vocals are bubbly, they are quite powerful as well; your average singer would get drowned out by the crazy beat, but not this veteran crooner. Like last month’s Rick Ross-assisted I Got It, First Real Love will appear on the artist’s Braveheart album, due out March 4.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/21/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pac's Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.