Remember Ashanti‘s video for Rock Wit U, which depicted her laying on the beach? Well, for her latest single, First Real Love, I think she went back to that tropical paradise to grab Beenie Man. It makes sense, because you can’t have a dope dancehall cut without Beenie’s energetic, brisk vocals. This isn’t just your average dancehall cut, either. Behind the boards, producers Teetimus, Mista Raja Greene and Yusuf Sef Millz Alexander blend the dancehall vibe with elements of R&B and EDM to create a unique hybrid between the three genres. Though Ashanti’s vocals are bubbly, they are quite powerful as well; your average singer would get drowned out by the crazy beat, but not this veteran crooner. Like last month’s Rick Ross-assisted I Got It, First Real Love will appear on the artist’s Braveheart album, due out March 4.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/21/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pac's Life" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.