With spring in full swing, there’s no better time to start that exercise regimen! If you’ve been putting off getting in shape for lack of an appropriately energetic, yet still cerebral hip-hop soundtrack for your morning jog, you’ll be happy to hear that alt-rap icons De La Soul have partnered with Nike for the latest installment of Original Run, a series of mixes specifically designed to match the pace of your average workout. Newly-released cut Big Mouf, for example, sounds like it’s meant to be played just as you’re beginning to break a sweat. The syncopated percussion and occasional sampled flourishes that back Supa Big Dave’s beat convey a feeling of mounting energy as Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo spit engaging verses sure to occupy listeners’ minds as they begin to feel the burn. Good hip-hop first and workout music second, this bracing cut is an enjoyable listen even if you’re sitting still (I’m not running as I type this, after all). Even so, those looking to lose a few pounds can find plenty of motivation in Are You In? (out now on iTunes).
Written by richard on 04/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Turning Me Off" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.