If there’s a smile on Elle Varner‘s face, it’s only there tryin’ to fool the public. But when it comes down to fooling her fans, now that’s quite a different subject. As you may have surmised from my paraphrase of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles’ Tears of a Clown, the RCA Records R&B songstress’s glad expression is hiding the pain of heartbreak. On new single Little Do You Know, she comes clean with listeners, giving vent to her pent-up emotions regarding a past relationship. Though this joint is a ballad at heart, frequent Varner collaborators Pop & Oak‘s beat begins with a simple, hip-hop informed bassline and percussion rhythm. They expand the arrangement only gradually, building to an emotionally raw, string-drenched climax. Fans will be able to find this powerful jam, along with promo singles Cold Case and See Me Tonight, on Elle’s sophomore set, 4 Letter Word. Keep it locked to our pages for further details on the project, which as yet lacks a drop date.
Written by richard on 04/10/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Only Wanna Give It To You" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.