One of the beautiful things about music in the digital age is that the walls that existed between genres are crumbling more by the day. In 2012 it’s not uncommon to hear a dubstep record featuring an indie rock sample with a hip-hop guest feature. Case in point, Ellie Goulding’s new release Hanging On. For Hanging On, Goulding, a darling of the indie pop/rock scene who’s become a favorite sample source for more progressive hip-hop producers, covers Active Child’s single of the same name, giving the original production a more electronically heavy and pounding feel. It’s a perfect contrast to Ellie’s soaring and often haunting vocals, but as if the layers here weren’t already complex enough, she then recruits UK rap superstar and Happy Birthday creator Tinie Tempah to deliver a guest verse that’s often blunt where the rest of the track is complex. While Hanging On was created solely for the sake of making some genre-crushing music, those intrigued to find out what else Ellie has in store can check out her Lights album, available now, and keep an ear out for her upcoming and currently unscheduled Bright Lights release.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Under the Sheets (Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.