Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries were the work of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The 10th entry in the relaunched series comes courtesy of Frank Leone, the Illinois representative last featured with October’s MONSTERS. On Night Brigade, the artist’s own eerie piano loops and slow-paced percussion back deft, conversational bars liberally spiced with internal rhyme. The beat drops out on the back, allowing him to showcase his blistering double-time flows a cappella. Leone is currently working on his self-produced new album, #EnterWILD.
Following this week’s installment, the DJBooth Freestyle Series will be going on a brief hiatus. Watch for freestyle #11 to hit our front page at the top of March.
Written by richard on 02/11/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.