Ever since Bad Boy’s Janelle Monáe broke out on the scene with her electric stylings in 2010, music lovers across the world have been enamored with the energy she brings to the table. So, naturally, hooking up with the subtle yet soulful Miguel would create the perfect ying to Monáe yang. Keyword being “perfect.” This balance is achieved on her latest single, PrimeTime. The production, courtesy of album collaborators Chuck Lightening, Nate Wonder and Roman Gianarth, sounds as if it were inspired by the early-90s R&B classics, allowing the vocalists to do what they do best; produce a simultaneously relaxing and exciting duet. If Monáe has more in store for us like this before the September 10, release of Electric Lady, you’ll be able to count it as one of the year’s most highly-anticipated and well-received.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Janelle Monáe’s Alan Ferguson-directed PrimeTime visual.
Written by Joven Haye on 10/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.