Ever since Bad Boy’s Janelle Monáe broke out on the scene with her electric stylings in 2010, music lovers across the world have been enamored with the energy she brings to the table. So, naturally, hooking up with the subtle yet soulful Miguel would create the perfect ying to Monáe yang. Keyword being “perfect.” This balance is achieved on her latest single, PrimeTime. The production, courtesy of album collaborators Chuck Lightening, Nate Wonder and Roman Gianarth, sounds as if it were inspired by the early-90s R&B classics, allowing the vocalists to do what they do best; produce a simultaneously relaxing and exciting duet. If Monáe has more in store for us like this before the September 10, release of Electric Lady, you’ll be able to count it as one of the year’s most highly-anticipated and well-received.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Janelle Monáe’s Alan Ferguson-directed PrimeTime visual.
Written by Joven Haye on 10/11/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.