I know there are a lot of Mary J. Blige fans out there who nearly jumped out of their seats when they saw a new song with MJB’s name attached, and I’ll include myself in that group, but unfortunately I have some bad news; The Living Proof isn’t off Mary’s upcoming album. The good news? It’s still got all the emotion and lush harmonies we’ve come to expect from the reigning Queen of Hip Hop Soul. Included on The Help soundtrack, Proof is an appropriately cinematic song that wisely lets Mary’s voice carry the day as producer Harvey Mason Jr. underlays only subtle strings, soft pianos and plaintive guitars, saving even the song’s small amount of percussion for the climax. Impressively Blige shows even more range to her voice here, rising above her usually deep vocal exclamations to deliver an Oscar worthy and often operatic performance. But enough of my gushing, I know all you really want is the 411 on more MJB. The Help soundtrack will be available starting July 26, while Mary’s new album My Life II: The Journey Continues is currently set to drop in September. Yes, you can start getting excited… now.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We Ride (I See the Future)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.