Featured back in January, ¡MAYDAY!‘s Highs & Lows was a pop-appealing, (relatively) upbeat ode to self-medication. As we all know, every action has its equal and opposite reaction – and it’s only appropriate that the unreleased cut’s official remix spotlight the record’s darker undertones. Crew member Plex Luthor serves up a radically stripped-down take on his original instrumental, overlaying a narcotized bassline with atmospheric synth and guitar accents as Wrek and Bernbiz spit about the seductive pleasures of mood-altering chemicals. Taking Ace Hood‘s place on the guest tip are two certified Booth faves (both of whom rocked the stage at Booth-sponsored SXSW showcase The Rising); Philly street veteran and freestyle series alumnus Freeway guests on the middle, attacking the joint with his trademark aggressive flows, and Champion Rizla emcee J. NiCS rounds out the lineup, lending his gravelly vocal stylings to the penultimate 16. Time for the big question: how does this stark rendition stack up against the original? Regardless of which you prefer, you can count on the Booth to being you all the latest from these Panhandle State innovators.
Written by richard on 04/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.