You could always tell which middle school kids would still be into Hip-Hop 10 or 20 years later. If you saw a kid beatbox, use pens on the desk like drumsticks, or pound hands on the gym floor, someone who could dance or rap wasn’t far. ¡MAYDAY! and MURS, together known as ¡MURSDAY!, were those kids. On the first joint single from their upcoming self-titled LP, Bernz, Wrekonize, and MURS trade bars over a simple yet dynamic beat that the talented kids could have made in Band class while goofing around. Each of them takes the incoming class of emcees back to school in a Beastie Boys fashion, with a group emphasis on the last word of each line. Today’s lesson: “If you got that funk then swing, monkey / if not, then put them bars down.” ¡MURSDAY! is due out June 10, via Strange Music.
UPDATE: We’ve added the Mike Marasco directed visuals for Tabletops.
Written by Bryan H on 04/22/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothin (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.