Who Else could give us a single just a month removed from their DJBooth Freestyle Series feature? Well, that’s an easy one, since there is only one answer; it’s Mick Jenkins. Just four weeks after the release of his flame freestyle, Steam, Jenkins returns with a record from his highly-anticipated (at least by us) project, The Water[s]. Setting the stage on Who Else is producer TJ Osinulu, who cooks up a slurred beat that is driven by rattling drums and some lurching, mysterious samples. Though the beat has some muffled effects, it is Jenkins voice that claps like thunder. His gritty, forceful delivery really makes each bar stand out and showcases how much strength this young emcee has in his verbage. Be sure to check back with The DJBooth for more form Mick as we approach the June 24, release date of The Water[s].
Written by Lucas G. on 05/7/14
Submit your Rating
Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cross Roads" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.