According to a rhyme that many of us learned as children, if you wish on the first star that comes out in the evening, your request is sure to be granted. Perhaps one of our readers petitioned the powers that be for some fresh, funky, alt-R&B yesterday evening, because that’s exactly what we have for you today in the form of Phirefly‘s debut feature. On newly-released promo single Starlite, beatsmith Astrological crafts a glossy, upbeat synth backdrop for the Vancouver reppers’ uplifting reflections on the importance of following one’s dreams. Claire Mortifee provides the lion’s share of the vocals, delivering breezy verses packed with wise advice and encouragement (“You’ve got to empathize with the person in the mirror.”) Crewmate Ray Black grabs the mic to deliver a flowed pep talk on verse two. Starlite is just a loosie, but those feeling it should stay tuned for more fresh cuts from this talented up-and-coming twosome.
Written by richard on 03/12/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.