Consider Smoke DZA and 2012 Best of the Booth winner, Joey Bada$$, as Batman and Robin, saving us from the Jokers of the hip-hop world, on their latest collab, Gotham F**king City. While Gotham is fictional, the bleak, grimy underbelly of New York, highlighted by the pair’s stark portrait of the city, is all too similar to Batman’s crime-infested city. Solo each emcee’s flow is strong enough to stand on it’s own, but together sound even better atop a gritty J. Dilla instrumental. The song’s visuals perfectly encapsulate the vibe of the track, addressing the struggle of surviving an unforgiving, dog-eat—dog world. Are DZA and BadA$$ hip-hop superheroes? Let us know in the comments below and check out DZA’s free mixtape, K.O.N.Y, available online now.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/25/13
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.