Fresh off stepping into the Booth for an exclusive Behind the Boards interview, Beantown DJ and producer Statik Selektah returns to our pages with a brand new single off his next studio album. This cut borrows its title and sampled hook from AZ‘s verse on Nas‘s classic Life’s a B*tch: “Others such as myself are tryin’ to Carry On tradition.” Appropriatey, the record has a distinct throwback feel. Over the headliner’s jazzy boom-bap boardwork, East Coast revivalist Joey BadA$$ and Gary, Indiana gangsta Freddie Gibbs deliver intricately-flowed verses jam-packed with lyrical knowledge. Feeling it? More tmieless grooves and quality guest bars await on What Goes Around, dropping August 19, via Showoff/Duck Down.
Written by richard on 06/3/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Rap Life ft. Statik Selektah" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.