With hundreds of new genres being birthed daily in someone’s
studio bedroom, it’s tough to figure out which ones are worth following. For today, why not let Vic Mensa set the tone? On his new progressive single, Down On My Luck, the Chicago emcee sing-raps with his characteristic fast flow over a dance inspiring groove from Stefan Ponce. It’s a song like this that reminds fans that even their favorite rapper deals with tough times and sometimes just wants to runaway. And who said this message couldn’t be delivered over a catchy beat? Even if its just a loosie, the free form energy on this record goes to show you that Vic has the versatility to create hits outside of what’s considered “Hip-Hop.” The SAVEMONEY army continues to prove that their arsenal is well equipped for the long run. If you need more Vic in your life, check out his feature verse on Asher Roth’s current single, Fast Life.
UPDATE: We have added the Ben Dickinson-directed visuals for Vic’s Down On My Luck single.
Written by Bryan H on 05/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.