If you're looking to discover new artists at the top of Spotify's rap mountain, you've come to the wrong place. (For that, I'd recommend our weekly Best New Music You Need column.)
For a fifth straight week, a combination of the same handful of artists make up the 10 most-played hip-hop songs over a seven-day period.
After dominating last week with three positions on this chart, Logic is down to just one this week, with "Everyday" falling two spots to No. 8 and Bobby Tarantino II selections "44 More" and "Contra" bowing out. In their place are Offset's "Ric Flair Drip" with Metro Boomin and Rich The Kid's new single, "Plug Walk."
Before we take a look at the complete list, a few friendly observations:
- XXXTENTACION's "SAD!" might be 377.6 million streams behind Drake's "God's Plan," but over the past 24 hours, he has collected nine million more plays on Spotify (20.4M to 11.6M). It's important to keep in mind that the controversial XXX is one week removed from releasing his new album, ?, while Drake's riding high on the strength of only two records (see below).
- "Stir Fry" is now Migos' seventh most-played song on Spotify, but it doesn't look like "Walk It Talk It" will follow suit. Last weekend, Migos released a (fantastic) video for the Culture II record, but while it has so far racked up 15M views on YouTube, the increased push behind it hasn't resulted in a huge cross-platform boost. Week over week, the record actually dropped 29 spots on the Global Spotify 200 chart.
- Rich The Kid released "Plug Walk" on February 8, and in less than two months, it's already his second most-played song on the platform of all time. The Platinum-certified, Kendrick Lamar-assisted "New Freezer" holds the top spot in his catalog, with 96.6 million plays.
The List (all-time streams):
- Drake "God's Plan" (444M)
- XXXTENTACION "SAD!" (66.4M)
- Post Malone "Psycho" (ft. Ty Dolla $ign) (145M)
- BlocBoy JB "Look Alive" (ft. Drake) (120M)
- Kendrick Lamar "All The Stars" (with SZA) (240M)
- Migos "Stir Fry" (139M)
- Jay Rock "King's Dead" (ft. Kendrick Lamar, Future & James Blake) (90.7M)
- Logic "Everyday" (ft. Marshmello) (39M)
- Offset "Ric Flair Drip" (with Metro Boomin) (199M)
- Rich The Kid "Plug Walk" (31.6M)