Each and every week, we take stock of the most-played hip-hop songs on the world's biggest streaming service, Spotify. It turns out, the most popular songs are pretty much always the ones by the biggest artists in the world. Surprise.
For those looking for the BEST music each week, head over to our 10 New Songs You Need to Hear series. If you want to know where the biggest hits stack up, you're in the right place.
This week was supposed to be Cardi's week. Of course, it still is, but with Drake swooping in with a new single, there shouldn't be much surprise the 6 God has continued (and strengthened) his vice grip on the most-played songs.
Before we take a look at the complete list, a few friendly observations:
- With "Nice For What" debuting at No. 1, "God's Plan" sitting pretty at No. 2 after being dethroned for the first time since it debuted, and "Look Alive" jumping up a spot, Drake currently has three of Spotify's top four songs at the moment. So we broke down Drizzy's winning formula for 2018 global domination.
- Cardi B's long-awaited (and excellent) debut Invasion of Privacy is projected to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 215-225k SPS (sales plus streaming) and since January 1, 2016, only Kendrick, Drake, Eminem, JAY-Z, Logic, and J. Cole have scored a higher first-week SPS total for hip-hop artists. Even so, "Be Careful" and "I Like It" only barely cracked the top ten this week, landing at No. 8 and 10, respectively.
- Four artists (Drake, Post Malone, XXXTentacion, Migos) appear on seven of the 10 songs on this week's chart.
- For the first time since we began compiling this chart on February 15, Kendrick Lamar has failed to score a placement in the top ten.
The List (all-time streams):
- Drake "Nice For What" (33.7M)
- Drake "God's Plan" (571M)
- Post Malone "Psycho" (ft. Ty Dolla $ign) (237M)
- BlocBoy JB "Look Alive" (ft. Drake) (183M)
- XXXTentacion "SAD!" (143M)
- Rich The Kid "Plug Walk" (74.1M)
- Lil Dicky "Freaky Friday" (ft. Chris Brown) (73.6M)
- Cardi B "Be Careful" (17.2M)
- Migos "Walk It Talk It" (ft. Drake) (84.7M)
- Cardi B "I Like It" (w/ Bad Bunny & J Balvin) (12.1M)