For those of us on Twitter, the Pusha > Drake narrative the last few days has consumed any and all conversation, outside of the last 24 hours, which have ceded to talk about whether Kanye's new ye album is brilliant or terrible (it's a beautiful mess.)
If you were looking solely at Spotify, however, song popularity on the world's biggest streaming service doesn't indicate Pusha's dominance in round one of their captivating beef as neither Drake's solid "Duppy Freestyle" nor Pusha's eviscerating "The Story of Adidon" have been released to paid streaming platforms, and while Pusha's terrific new album DAYTONA hasn't made a dent into the most-played hip-hop songs, Drake's dominance continues yet another week.
In fact, the only thing that's changed since last week's 10 most-played hip-hop songs on Spotify is the order, with Lil Baby and Juice WRLD trending upward and Childish Gambino doing the opposite.
Before we take a look at the complete list, a few friendly observations:
- Neither A$AP Rocky nor Pusha-T scored a single song in the top 10 despite both artists releasing brand new albums last week. This is a stark contrast to recent releases from J. Cole and Post Malone, who dominated this chart the week following their album drops. One week out, "If You Know You Know" (5.3M) is the most popular song from Pusha's DAYTONA, while the Skepta-assisted "Praise The Lord (Da Shine)" (13M) is the frontrunner for Rocky's TESTING.
- Both Lil Baby and Juice WRLD have new biggest hits to their name. Lil Baby's Drake-assisted "Yes Indeed" is now far and away the artist's biggest hit, topping his prior high "My Dawg," and Juice WRLD's "Lucid Dreams" has surpassed the emo-rap specialist's breakout hit "All Girls Are the Same."
- Drake and Post Malone can't be stopped.
The List (all-time streams):
- Drake "Nice For What" (262M)
- Lil Baby "Yes Indeed" ft. Drake (39M)
- Post Malone "Better Now" (169M)
- Juice WRLD "Lucid Dreams" (33.5M)
- Childish Gambino "This Is America" (56.3M)
- Drake "God's Plan" (771M)
- Post Malone "Psycho" ft. Ty Dolla $ign (420M)
- BlocBoy JB "Look Alive" ft. Drake (292M)
- Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin "I Like It" (155M)
- Post Malone "rockstar" ft. 21 Savage (1B)