Welcome back to another edition of the "This Week in Hype" podcast, the only podcast that gives every listener a free waffle. Ok, so that's a complete lie, but waffles are delicious, so.....
This week, I had a rant building up inside me that I just had to get out. Ever since Kendrick dropped his To Pimp a Butterfly album there's been seemingly endlessly debate around the album, but very little talk about the album itself. WHO FUCKING CARES IF IT'S A CLASSIC?!?
Discussed This Week:
- As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
- I was going to do this podcast completely solo, but then I figured I'd bring in @LucasDJBooth so I wouldn't sound like a completely insane person.
- I don't even know where to start describing this one. In the past two weeks I've been drowned in tweets and comments about Kendrick's album and the tsunami of hype and counter-hype is kind of making me lose my fucking mind. So yeah, that's what this is about.
- This week's closing song, Kendrick's' "Alright." Pay special attention to how Pharrell pronounces the "t" in "We gon' be alright!"
- The podcast is also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Podomatic and now, Stitcher! So yeah, it's kind of a big deal.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]