Skip to main content

Here’s What Your Mid-2000s Rap Ringtone Says About You

Let’s not pretend these ringtones didn’t slap.
Here's What Your Mid-2000s Rap Ringtone Said About You

Ringtones, otherwise known as choosing your favorite radio smash and paying 99 cents to have it play whenever your mother calls to yell at you, are mostly a thing of the past. But have we ever discussed how much your ringtone selection says about you as a person?

No?

Here’s what your rap ringtone in the mid-2000s says about you.

Nelly “Grillz”

You were the kid in the middle school cafeteria making fake grills out of tinfoil and gold glitter. Everyone loved them because they thought you were doing it to be funny, but then you started wearing them every day. You should be ashamed of yourself.

50 Cent “Candy Shop”

You grew up in a small religious town in the Midwest, so this song provided 75 percent of your sex education. You felt awkward whenever “Candy Shop” rang around your mom, and you pretended the ringtone came with the phone.

Anything from Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz

You were the most perverted kid in your grade, and it wasn’t even close. Your friends slowly grew to resent you. You giggled too much in health class. You got a boner at the homecoming dance, and you never lived it down. You’re almost 30 now, and everyone in your hometown still refers to you as “Boner Brian.”

Scroll to Continue

RECOMMENDED ARTICLES

5-Albums-Header--11-

5 New Albums You Need to Hear This Week

Selections include BIG30, Baby Tate, Kenny Mason, Show Dem Camp, and EKKSTACY.

am-world-top10-sept-16x9@2x

10 Rappers You Should Know Right Now

Our latest selections include Jay Fizzle, Goldenboy Countup, Sampa The Great, Philly Goats, and Pretty V.

Header--23-

How EKKSTACY Beat Writer’s Block to Make His Best Album

Pop anti-hero EKKSTACY finds his aggressive voice on his new album, 'misery.' He breaks down his journey through writer's block for Audiomack World.

Clipse “Grindin’”

That beat is just too hot, and you couldn’t let it stop. When it played, you just never answered the phone. This decision tore your life apart. Your family was furious; they couldn’t keep tabs on you. Your girlfriend thought you were cheating, so she dumped you. Don’t blame yourself, blame Pharrell.

J-Kwon “Tipsy”

You were the first kid in your high school to get a DUI. You thought it was going to ruin your life, but it made you the most popular kid in your grade. You were a rockstar. Consequently, you peaked in high school, and now you’re a rage-filled incel who works as a cashier at Panera.

Lil Wayne “Lollipop”

You were on the football team. You were also the first kid in your friend group to lose his V-card, which, of course, made you an icon overnight. Also, remember how 50 Cent’s “Candy Shop” was 75 percent of your sex education? This song was the other 25 percent.

Yung Joc “It’s Goin’ Down”

You wore light-up Sketchers and had seven Livestrong bracelets on both wrists. You still have them in a jar somewhere because you never heard about Lance Armstrong’s fall from grace. Next to the jar? That Napoleon Dynamite “Vote For Pedro” button that you rocked out in ‘05.

Kanye West “Gold Digger”

You tried to be the “shutter shades guy,” but the first time you wore shutter shades at school, you were roasted—relentlessly. You then burned them as soon as you got home. Also, this ringtone had an uncensored hook. As a white boy, you had to answer IMMEDIATELY.

Shop Boyz “Party Like A Rockstar”

Your idea of “partying like a rockstar” was chugging Dr. Pepper, playing Halo 2 all night, and stealing your mother’s Victoria Secrets catalog because your internet connection was too slow to watch porn. You fuckin’ nerd.

Soulja Boy “Crank Dat”

Unfortunately… he wrote this article.

Related

Header--23-

How EKKSTACY Beat Writer’s Block to Make His Best Album

Pop anti-hero EKKSTACY finds his aggressive voice on his new album, 'misery.' He breaks down his journey through writer's block for Audiomack World.

Best-of-the-Week-Header--12-

5 Songs You Need to Hear: Best of the Week

Press play on new releases from GloRilla, Black Sherif, Protoje, Bella Shmurda, and Armani Caesar — available for stream on Audiomack.

Header--22-

Exploring Young Jonn’s Reinvention

Producer-turned-singer Young Jonn made a career of hits for African artists, now he's taking center stage. He breaks down his career journey for Audiomack.

5-Albums-Header--10-

5 New Albums You Need to Hear This Week

BigWalkDog, CKay, D-Block Europe, Nailah Blackman, and Muni Long all released new albums you need to hear.

Best-of-the-Week-Header--11-

5 Songs You Need to Hear: Best of the Week

Press play on new tunes from Wizkid, G Herbo, Ayra Starr, Kaash Paige, and Ayoni.

Header--21-

yvngxchris Went From Recording on Earbuds to Viral Star

Rapper yvngxchris started off making songs on iPhone earbuds. Now, he's signed and constantly going viral.