Welcome back to yet another edition of the "This Week in Hype" podcast, the only podcast guaranteed to raise your alcohol tolerance purely by listening. So yeah, you've been warned. Proceed accordingly.
This week, I do a major label rundown and talk about why Interscope dropped Chief Keef - does it mean the labels are changing for the better - and revisit the mindie debate in the wake of Logic and Chance the Rapper making headlines this week. Plus, I bring on Anderson .Paak (aka one of the most creative artists out there) to talk about his history and future.
Discussed This Week:
Freddie Gibbs, Saweetie & Earl Sweatshirt: Best of the Week
Freddie Gibbs, Saweetie, and Earl Sweatshirt, among others, had the best new songs on Audiomack this week.
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* Shout out to this week's sponsor, Prudential Financial Planning. Are you a rapper who thinks they don't have to pay taxes? Call Prudential Financial Planning now.
* Chief Keep got dropped by Interscope just a few weeks after Trinidad James got dropped and Mac Miller signed to Warner Bros. Is this a sign that major labels are shifting away from jumping on "hot" new artist bandwagon? (Spoiler alert, no it doesn't.)
* With one of the most notable mindies of all-time, Logic, with a new Def Jam album out and the conversation around Chance the Rapper's potential mindie status humming, I review the mindie phenomenon.
* This week's closing track, Bambu's new "Welcome to the Party."
* Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and only all the good things in the world will happen to you ever.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]