Welcome back to the greatest achievement in human history. The pyramids? Whatever, aliens helped out. Penicillin? I can barely even spell it, how important can it be. "This Week in Hype" though? That's the stuff that history is made of.
This week, I attempt to figure out if Drake really should be considered a hip-hop legend, plus I bring on Houston's Club God BeatKing to talk the birth of his ratchet comedy rap movement.
Discussed This Week:
- As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
- If Drake dies, is he actually a legend. Lucas asked the question in one of the most talked about articles we've done in a minute, and I dive even deeper into that question. [Spoiler alert, he's not.]
- Lately I've been obsessed with Houston hip-hop, so I had to bring on one of the H-Town's leading new artists, BeatKing. We talk about the role of comedy in his music, how he found his home in the club and much more.
- This week's closing song, BeatKing and Gangsta Boo's "Mashing."
- The podcast is also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Podomatic, Audiomack and now, Stitcher! So yeah, it's kind of a big deal.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]