Welcome back to another edition of the "This Week in Hype" podcast, the podcast for people who love podcasts but aren't sure they should love podcasts. This is that shit you kind of regret listening to, but kind of don't. Like doing heroin.
This week, I attempt to not talk about Kendrick, realize I just don't feel Jay Elec's music, drop some surprisingly not-stoned thoughts about the nature of time and consciousness and music and bring on the homie DJ T-Gut to tell Riff Raff tour stories and more.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* I really want to explain yet again why people who don't think Kendrick Lamar is an outstanding emcee are morons, but I don't want y'all to get Kendrick overload so I don't. But I kind of do.
* I should love Jay Elec's music, at least the rare music he releases. But I just don't, and I'm not quite sure why. That shit happens though, it's like having a hot, smart nice girlfriend but you're just not in love.
* Jesus...I don't know. Some stuff about the fundamental nature of consciousness and the drug-like power of music to pull us into the present moment and I know I sound like this but I swear I was this.
* DJ T-Gut works for us and he's also a dope DJ. I bring him on to talk about the kindergarten origin of his name, what life is like for a young generation DJ trying to carve our a career, what it's like to tour with Riff Raff and much more. I'm telling you, Taylor T-GUT is good peoples. You should follow him.
* This week's closing track, bitch you guessed it, some OG Maco.
* Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and only all the good things in the world will happen to you ever.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]