Welcome back to the greatest achievement in human history. The pyramids? Whatever, aliens helped out. Penicillin? I can barely even spell it, how important can it be. "This Week in Hype" though? That's the stuff that history is made of.
This week, I devote the episode to bringing in Yoh and talking about his huge article about hip-hop elitism (aka "I Don't Like Illmatic"). It's a topic that eventually gets to the core of nearly every issue in hip-hop. The lesson, as always? Just don't be a dick.
Discussed This Week:
- As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
- How about that new podcast art people, huh? Pretty sweet.
- My discussion with Yoh will make a lot more sense after you read his article. In short, he dares to challenge the hip-hop Bible of classic albums and predictably gets some serious heat for it. Who gets to decide what albums are classics? Who lays out the requirements for "real" hip-hop? Why are hip-hop heads such dicks to anyone who doesn't know every album ever? We get deep into it.
- Also, Yoh always answers the phone like he's stoned. Always. The more you know.
- This week's closing song is Ghostface's "Shakey Dog" because it's my favorite Ghost song ever.
- The podcast is also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Podomatic, Audiomack and now, Stitcher! So yeah, it's kind of a big deal.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]