I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell! And also more "This Week in Hype" podcast. Also that.
This week's episode is one I've been wanting to make happen for a long ass time. I talk to John Gotty, aka the don of The Smoking Section, about being one of the first people on the rap internet and what it's like to run my favorite (non-DJBooth) site.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear his story in full on the podcast.
* Forget my usual rambling, forget the fake commercials, this week I'm devoting the entire episode to my conversation with John Gotty. This is the definitive rap internet discussion I've been looking to have.
* Gotty and I discuss his past as a teacher, his beginning selling sneakers online, illegal downloads, how sobriety helped lead him to starting Smoking Section before music blogs even really existed as a thing, not giving a fuck about making rappers happy, the current state of music journalism and much more. It's kind of a big deal.
* Straight up, you can catch me reading Smoking Section on the daily. Check it out and be sure to follow @JohnGotty.
* This week's closing track, "Sobriety" by SZA, because that song's addictive.
* Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and only all the good things in the world will happen to you ever.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome.