If you're reading this I can only assume that means you're interested in the "This Week in Hype" podcast. And if you're interested in the "This Week in Hype" podcast, that means you're an amazing human. Congratulations on being an amazing human.
This week, I needed to get a lot off my chest and had to ride solo dolo. A breakdown of Kendrick Lamar's "i" turns into a rant against the internet's power to take all the joy out of music, plus I get into SoundCloud's money move, Lecrae's number one album, Lil Dicky's burgeoning YouTube career and more.
Discussed This Week:
Lil Nas X, Lil Tecca, & Alina Baraz: Best of the Week
Lil Nas X, Lil Tecca, Alina Baraz, and more, all had the best new songs on Audiomack this week.
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* For the seven people who care, I'm still freaking out about going deaf, I've just decided to ignore it and hope it goes away. Great move, I know.
* I want to figure out how I really-actually feel about Kendrick's new "i" single, but it's almost impossible among all the internet hype, anti-hype, tweets and comments. That sucks. Plus, why Kendrick's following Kanye's blueprint, hip-hop's disdain for positivity, an accidental defense of Lil Wayne and much more.
* SoundCloud's been cracking down on its users, particularly DJs, and giving UMG full copyright discretion. Here's why.
* Lecrae has one of the best selling hip-hop albums of the year and no one's talking about it. Are we really that scared of "Christian" rap?
* Lil Dicky's building a legitimate career for himself almost solely off his comedy-rap YouTube videos. Is that such a bad thing? Is he a mindie?
* This week's closing track, Rapsody's stellar "Drama".
* Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and only all the good things in the world will happen to you ever.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]