Yesterday, I had to travel back to the homeland (Boston) for a wedding. My plan was to hop on the plane's wireless and get this up, but of course the wireless was slower than Rick Ross running a triatholon, so I ended up sleeping and watching "Edge of Tomorrow" instead. I could have have just packed it in, said the "This Week in Hype" podcast just wasn't meant to be this week, but no! You create your own destiny, so I'm sitting here in a Starbucks next to Dick's Sporting Goods with a wedding suit on the chair next to me getting this shit up. A day late, but it's here. Never see I've kept it anything less than one-hunna with y'all.
This week, I try to figure out if Logic's upcoming album will outsell T.I.'s, and figure out my feelings on Logic in general, then bring on Lucas G to tell some A3C stories. Would you like to know what car Mannie Fresh pulled up in before we annoyed him while waiting for an elevator? How I talked a guy who may or may not have been security into letting us film at Magic City and much more. Enjoy.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* Logic has an album coming out next week, and it's quite possible that he could end up becoming the next Kendrick Lamar. Or not. It's one of those rare moments in hip-hop history a career pivots on.
* As long as we're doing upcoming album talk, how about T.I.'s "Paperwork"? Now that I think about it, T.I.'s been amazingly consistent. Has he fallen off the least among his peers?
* Last week Lucas G was with me in Atlanta for A3C, so I bring him on to talk about that time Mannie Fresh pulled up to the spot in a Nissan Altima, our adventures at Magic City and more.
* This week's closing track, Pharoahe Monch's "Rapid Eye Movement."
* Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and only all the good things in the world will happen to you ever.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]