It's been said my ancient philosophers that in the beginning there was nothing. And then sweet baby jesus created the "This Week in Hype" podcast, and it was good.
This week, I run through a plethora of topics, including the "Young Thug is gay" ridiculousness, Kendrick Lamar lawsuits, being a dick on the internet, and bring on The Narcicyst to talk about Muslim hip-hop and much more.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* Rap Game "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory"? Plies is clearly the Oompa Loompa.
* I do a potpourri of new topics, including why anyone gives a fraction of a fuck about Young Thug's sexuality, the Kendrick Lamar sample lawsuit, the reaction to K. Dot's "Never Catch Me" and more. Also, don't be a dick.
* I bring on The Narcicyst (aka Narcenio Hall, aka Yassin Alsalman) to be my shaman to the world of Muslim hip-hop, how he addresses his unavoidable identification as a Muslim in his art, his universe theory of rapper popularity and more.
* Many thanks to Narcy for coming on. You should follow him on Twitter and check his site for his full range of dopeness.
* This week's closing track, Narcy's "Hamdulillah".
* If you subscribe to the podcast on iTunes only all the good things in the world will ever happen to you.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]