Hark, do you hear that? It is a chorus of angels, and verily, they're all singing "I fyou're not listening to the This Week in Hype podcast you're probably wack." Hey, they said it, not me. What, you want me ot disagree with some messengers of God?
I kick things off by doing some serious reminiscing - shout out to Andy Bonfilio for putting me onto Tribe Called Quest in high school - and then bring on Tim Larew to talk about his work managing Michael Christmas and others, his experience with major labels, and what it means to be a "manager" in 2015.
Discussed This Week:
* As always, shouts to Tino for that dope theme song. You should follow Tino and hear Tino’s story in full on the podcast.
* Yoh's piece on the best music year of his life got me thinking - what's the best music year of my life? It'd have to be...junior/senior year of high school when I really had my mind blown by Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, The Roots and more. What was the best music year of your life?
* I bring on Tim Larew to talk about how he got his start in Boston, his involvement in Cam Meekins mindie deal, how he ended up managing Michael Christmas and others, and what it means to be a young "manager" in 2015.
* Tim is a good human being. You should check out Freshheir, follow him on Twitter and just generally fux with him.
* The podcast is also on iTunes, SoundCloud, Podomatic, Audiomack and now, Stitcher! So yeah, it's kind of a big deal.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]