The thing about tracking the biggest hip-hop songs in the world every week, though, is that they're usually from the same cast of characters. Drake, Cardi B, Juice WRLD—those who dominate popular music usually do just that: dominate.
So, to mix things up just a bit, and get a better picture of what songs are blowing up but haven't yet reached the upper echelon of popularity, we've started a new chart: 10 Fastest-Rising Hip-Hop Songs on Spotify. Excluding songs over 40 million total streams (what we've deemed the threshold for mainstream ubiquity), these are the songs with the biggest increase in plays over the past seven days.
In other words, these are the 10 songs under 40 million streams gaining the most steam right now on a global scale.
NOTE: This week, we're excluding Lil Wayne's Tha Carter V from consideration, as it would have taken up all 10 spots. (In order: "Mona Lisa," Don't Cry," "Let It Fly," "Uproar," "What About Me," "Dedicate," "Can't Be Broken," "Dark Side of the Moon," "Famous," "Dope N****z")
Before we take a look at the complete list, a few friendly observations:
- Sheck Wes' "Mo Bamba" topped this chart the first time around, on August 27, with 27.6 million Spotify streams. It's gained an additional 45 million in the five weeks since and has gone on to become a hip-hop phenomenon. Kodak Black's "If I'm Lyin, I'm Flyin" is our new No. 1, so take that as you will.
- With his best project in years, YSIV, having been released just last Friday (September 28), it's interesting to note that Logic places just two tracks in the top 10, especially considering Tha Carter V would have dominated all 10 selections had we included it.
- Jaden Smith is featured on two songs in the top 10. Though his contribution to Logic's "ICONIC" is nothing more than a short spoken-word interlude, we are beginning to see Jaden become a premiere guest feature.
- Jackpot Scotty Wotty. No real observation there; just had to write his name again.
The List (all-time streams):
- Kodak Black "If I'm Lyin, I'm Flyin" (4.8M)
- Logic "ICONIC" ft. Jaden Smith (3.5M)
- Logic "Wu Tang Forever" ft. Ghostface Killah, Raekwon, RZA, Method Man, Inspectah Deck, Cappadonna, Jackpot Scotty Wotty, U-God, Masta Killa & GZA (3.4M)
- Lil Baby & Gunna "Drip Too Hard" (24M)
- Aminé "REEL IT IN" (20.8M)
- Young Thug "Sin" ft. Jaden Smith (7.4M)
- Eminem "Venom (Music From The Motion Picture)" (34.6M)
- Gucci Mane, Bruno Mars & Kodak Black "Wake Up in the Sky" (33.7M)
- Eminem "Killshot" (25.8M)
- Machine Gun Kelly "RAP DEVIL" (22.7M)
For more sponsored hip-hop video content like this, subscribe to the ADM YouTube channel here.